Thursday, July 21, 2011

Skull of Flowers

Douglas Considine submitted these photos of a skull made of flowers and the Christmas tree they came from. He explains about the two pieces. "After spending much of 2009 collection artificial flowers to construct the 2009 Christmas Tree' I found, once yule time had passed and the tree deconstructed, I had a garbage bag filled with post Christmas blooms. I chucked it into storage until February this year when I thought it was time to unpack the posies and construct a Blooming Skull...hope you like it."





Indeed, I do like both pieces. I love flowers. They are one of the most beautiful things on this planet. I love how versatile they can be in creating with them. These pieces remind me of the Rose Bowl floats that are made of flowers and other plant materials. I'm always amazed at the uses of texture and color to create amazing images. For these two pieces, not only is the color variety amazing, but the use of shapes to fill in all the void areas to make compact pieces. The tree is a refreshing take on a traditional pine tree. Winter can be very gloomy, so bright spring like colors are a welcoming sight. I like that since the flowers are artificial that they can be reused for many things...from tree to wall hanging. I can also see these flowers strung together for a colorful Dia de los Muertos celebration.

No comments: