Monday, June 6, 2011

[BONUS] The Gift of Skulls - Noah Calaca from Wenchkin

Special thanks to Wenchkin who made this special skullified version of my face!

She explains, "these are all ball point pen and sharpie. 8x10 they're loosely based on calaca from day of the dead as opposed to just straight skulls. The calaca is the painted skull, the one that celebrates death and is not intended to scare. I live in new mexico and paint my face and march in our parade every year. I have always painted or drawn skulls so it was not shocking I also started adding in the culture around me. I scan them all before I black them in as my ultimate dream for this particular project is to later turn it into a coloring book. I also have a bi weekly coloring page listed in the notes on my fan page for fun and have gotten some really interesting pieces back colored by kids, moms, grannies and other artists and I love seeing what they do with it."

Check out more of Wenchkin's work HERE

5 comments:

Abby Davis said...

That is fantastic! I love it!

Abby Davis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mim said...

EXcellent. And I like having the correct name for this thing.

yuccaflatsnm said...

many thanks for showing my illustration. For those interested here is a brief video that explains the calaca skull http://youtu.be/FetpHP-5nkM

CuddlyBunny said...

Beautiful, wonderful art!